"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Why Ethiopia?

I cannot wait until the day I can announce that we are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. With that, I know people will ask "Why Ethiopia?" I say why not? Here are facts about Ethiopia that opened my eyes and heart to this country.

Total population: 77 million

The average income in Ethiopia is US$100 a year. Almost 82% of the population lives on less than $1 a day.

Malnutrition levels are among the highest in the world.

The average life expectancy is 43 years.

Ethiopia is home to 4 million orphans, or 12% of all children. More than half a million of these were orphaned as a result of AIDS.

Literacy rate: 42.7% age 15 and over can read and write.

Only 18 percent of children reach grade five.

Ethiopia's neonatal mortality rate is one of the highest in the world - 49/1000 births with tetanus infection being the second major cause of infant/neonatal death.

Statistics are from the CIA, Save the children, WHO and UNICEF websites

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dara, I know how you feel. Don't let the money thing get you down. We had the same worries and had to trust that He would provide for us. The good thing is that not all the money is due at once. You'd be amazed how it just all comes into place. We are about 18 months in from when we submitted our application and we still haven't had to write that "big" check...lol, it's coming though

    ReplyDelete